The JP neighborhood in Boston is home to a diverse population of college educated professionals, artists and political activists. While it is an urban area, it is not without parks, natural landmarks and quaint shops with rustic charm.
Here are some of our favorite spots and things to do in Jamaica Plain:
- JAMAICA POND: First included in Boston’s Emerald Necklace in 1892, Jamaica Pond is a perfect spot to get your nature fix in the city. This natural beauty is a great spot for picnics, walking/hiking, fishing, or just relaxing by the water. If you prefer a more active day, rowboats, kayaks and sailboats are available for rent via the Jamaica Pond Boat House. With so much to offer, Jamaica Pond makes for a family-friendly day trip.
- ARNOLD ARBORETUM: The Arboretum is a free, safe environment to experience the wonder of nature with children. Choose between self-guided tours, guided tours, family exploration, wildlife bingo, or several other activities that are fun for all ages. The gardens here are absolutely stunning in spring and summer, and will not disappoint!
- SAM ADAMS BREWERY TOUR: The Jamaica Plain facility is akin to the “test kitchen” for Samuel Adams beer. In this brewery, new ingredients are tested and specialty beers are brewed, some which are only available in the Boston area or in the tasting rooms. Be sure to stop by for a tour and taste what they’re brewing up today! (21 and older)
- FOREST HILL CEMETERY: The final resting place to author e.e. cummings, poet Anne Sexton, and suffragist Alice Stone Blackwell, this premier garden cemetery is packed with history. Enjoy a walking tour through the gardens, greenspace, arboretum, and famous sculpture gardens, all of which are accessible year round.
- THE FOOTLIGHT CLUB: Established in 1877, The Footlight Club is America’s oldest continually producing community theater. Offering a full season of plays and musicals, The Footlight Club remains part of the cultural fabric of Jamaica Plain and surrounding neighborhoods.
- BRENDAN BEHAN PUB: This pub is exactly what the rest of the country associates with the Boston area. An Irish pub, with regular live music, superb customer service, fair prices, and a generous selection of craft beer and ales, Behan’s is sure to be a big hit for a night out on town with friends. Voted the Best Irish Pub in Boston by The Guardian and Boston Magazine.
- JP LICKS: One of our favorite spots in Jamaica Plain because, well…ice cream! Not just any ice cream though, with over 400 awards and counting, the homemade ice cream and frozen yogurt crafted by JP Licks is something that has to be tasted firsthand to fully appreciate. Their selection includes Kosher, Vegan, Gluten-free and Non-Dairy options.
- TEN TABLES: Chef Eric shapes the seasonal menus around ingredients that are available from local farmers to create dishes that are not only fresh and delicious, but also sustainable and organic. With fresh pasta made daily, meats that are cured onsite, and condiments made right in their kitchen, if New England was a flavor, it would taste like Ten Tables! In keeping with the sustainable and eco-friendly philosophy, we also love that Ten Tables is within walking distance of our office (directions below).
If you’re considering moving to, or purchasing a home in Jamaica Plain, I’m happy to give you a tour of the area and review the options of homes for sale in Jamaica Plain.
Founder and Lead Realtor of The Boston Home Team